This Photograph shows Lancashire Landing
looking towards Helles and Asia Minor

On 25th April 1915 whilst Rupert Brooke’s friend Sub.Lt Dodge was landing under fire at "V" beach, just west at "W" beach, a landing which was to become famous as "Lancashire Landing" was being undertaken by the 1st battalion Lancashire Fusiliers. The ship’s boats of H.M.S. Euryalus and H.M.S.Implacable were lowered and heavily laden men of the battalion embarked by the ships’ gangways. Tows of six boats were made up and each tow was linked to a steam pinnace under the command of a Midshipman.

As the boats neared the shore the naval bombardment of the beach began. The beach on which the landing was to be made was about 350 yards in width with cliffs about 100 feet in height. A belt of barbed wire stretched right across it and when this was noticed orders were immediately given that the attackers were to lie down behind the wire whilst the wire cutters made a sufficient number of passages for the men to pass through.

As the naval bombardment ceased, the Turkish troops opened fire on the Lancashire Fusiliers going ashore. It was impossible for them to miss. The Fusiliers’ rifles had become clogged with the beach’s silver sand and sea water and they were unable to fire in any effective response. Enfilading fire from the Turkish machine guns caught the attackers in the open and it was some time before a lucky shot from a Lancashire Fusilier managed to silence a sniper who had caused numerous casualties by his very accurate shooting. Nevertheless the Fusiliers managed to pass through the barbed wire and start the ascent of the cliff and by 7.15 a.m. some sort of line was established which would protect the beach from aimed fire.

The heavy casualties amongst the Brigade staff – the Brigadier was wounded and the Brigade Major killed- made for some disorganisation but eventually the beach and its immediate area were captured and survivors amongst the Turkish troops taken prisoner.

General Sir Ian Hamilton ordered that "W" Beach should be re-named Lancashire Landing and it was the intention that this name should be as official a title as that given to "Z" Beach which became "Anzac" for the Australians. It was not to be. Whilst "Anzac" was retained, "Lancashire Landing" was ruled to be an unsuitable title and the name "W" Beach was reinstated.

There is, however, a link between the exploits of the 1st Lancashire Fusiliers at "Lancashire Landing" and the Anzacs at Lone Pine. The attack by the 1st Battalion Lancashire Fusiliers on 25th April 1915 resulted in the award of six Victoria Crosses to officers and men of the battalion. On 9th August 1915 six Australians also won the Victoria Cross in their attack at Lone Pine – one of whom was Captain Alfred John Shout whose name on the memorial is depicted on another web page.

As regards the 1st Bn. Lancashire Fusiliers the survivors came back to England where they were reinforced and then sent to France. The battalion again distinguished itself, this time on the 1st July 1916 at the White City (the WW1 poet Wilfred Owen was there in 1917), near the infamous Hawthorn Redoubt.


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8


Copyright, 1999. All rights reserved