THE KENTISH CAVES
Present day photographs of the location of the "Kentish Caves" adjacent to the River Ancre.
Edmund Blunden found them particularly useful as a haven when he was with the 11th Royal Sussex in action in the Ancre valley during September to November 1916.
He wrote: - "Beyond Hamel was a small chalk cliff, with a rambling but remarkable dugout in it called Kentish Caves."
Kentish Caves was not named after Blundens home county but after the commanding officer of the 1st Battalion East Lancashire Regiment. Early in 1916 Lieutenant-Colonel R.J.Kentish (Royal Irish Fusiliers)* instructed the miners of the 1st East Lancs. to construct it, greatly to the benefit of the men of the battalion and many other subsequent users.
* Later Brigadier General R.J.Kentish CMG. DSO. (1876-1956)
Copyright © www.1914-18.co.uk, 2004. All rights Reserved