A German Headquarters
Despite the passage of time, this concrete tribute to the efficiency of the German Armys engineers in 1916 which is now open to the public, still defies destruction.
However, briefly in October 1914, this area was in the hands of the British Household Brigade (some of whose units had formerly had the Kaiser as Honorary Colonel of their Regiment!). Thus, on the 24th October 1914 the 1st Life Guards were holding the line here. They were withdrawn after 24 hours and marched to Ypres to re-form, having suffered a number of casualties. One of those killed in action here was Sir Richard Levinge who was buried in Zandwoorde churchyard.
The next day when it was time for the squadron to be paid, it was discovered that the units pay had been entrusted to Sir Richard. Accordingly, a patrol was urgently despatched to the churchyard where his grave was re-opened and the wallet containing the cash recovered from Sir Richards body.
After the war Sir Richards remains were removed to the White House Cemetery where they now lie, together with some 1100 others who were killed in WW1 and WW2.
Copyright © www.1914-18.co.uk, 2002. All Rights Reserved