This modern building, west of Zillebeke Lake, stands on the site of the original Transport Farm of the war years and its facilities were held in high regard by the troops passing to and from the nearby trenches. A railway line from Ypres terminated here and the troops disembarking from the trucks and awaiting guides to take them to the front lines were given hot soup before proceeding. Similarly, those troops coming out of the line called at the farm for their issue of hot soup by their quartermasters before going on to rest.
It is pleasing to note that the owners of the present building have drawn attention to this piece of history by having a soup ladle modelled on the upper wall of their house, just above the first floor window.
Copyright © www.1914-18.co.uk, 2002. All Rights Reserved